Clay County Public Transportation

Don Wright, the Clay County Transportation is planning for the future and trying to keep up with the demand of transportation within the county so that everyone within the county can benefit from the public transportation program.

According to Wright, services in Clay County has grown over 200% in the last seven months with another 100% by this summer.  And Wright told the commissioners this morning that when he took over, the public transportation was averaging about 200 rides per month about 1,500 miles.

Wright goes on and says that that they are making an impact on the county, and when he took over 99% of the clientele was in Clay Center, but now, 85% is in Clay Center and the other 15% is throughout the county.

Wright attributes these changes because they have been able to keep their cost low.  If you live outside Clay Center and in the County, it costs $10 round trip and $1 per stop, he further stated that they have now added airport runs to their routes, and hopefully within the next month they will be starting a Topeka VA run.

Saturday services are also on the horizon of the public transport in Clay County, and if that works out, they will include Sunday services as well.

The Clay County Public Transportation is brought in line with the Clay Center Tigers, with their logos and writing being in orange and black.  And with the summer coming up, children over 10 can be transported with a form filled out at the Clay Center Public Transportation office.
You can schedule your next ride by calling 785-632-2447.
Janet Schnell covers state and local news for KFRM and KCLY. You can follow the KCLY or KFRM Facebook page for more stories.
KFRM covers news from across the state of Kansas, the Northern part of Oklahoma, and Southern part of Nebraska.
KCLY coverage area includes the nine counties of Clay, Cloud, Dickinson, Geary, Marshall, Ottawa, Riley, Republic, and Washington.
KCLY or KFRM stories and photos may be republished by news media at no cost with proper attribution and a link to or

Sign up for the KCLY Digital Newspaper, The Regional