Clay Center, Kan. — Last night, Clay Center Fire Department was called out to 417 Lane Street for a structure fire. The call came in shortly before 9 pm.

Within minutes of arriving, Fire Chief Johnny Ihnen said they were in the home attacking the fire. They also had crews outside working to put out the fire. In another 2-3 minutes they had control of the fire.

The occupant of the home said they were cooking chicken and the grease caught fire. Their attempt to extinguish the fire failed so they called 911.

Chief Ihnen said they were able to save one other pet and the occupants of the home exited safely.

Anyone looking to donate can provide clothes for the family’s son, size 7/8 in cloths and size 1 shoes. Donations can be dropped at State Farm with Patty Sutherland. More updates and information will posted on the KCLY Facebook page.

Sign up for the KCLY Digital Newspaper, The Regional