Clay Center City Council Talk Road Projects, Storm Shelter Grants, More, In Regular Meeting

By Quinn O’Hara

Photo by Quinn O’Hara, taken at the March 2024 meeting.

On Tuesday, June 4, the Clay Center City Council met for their regular meeting. According to the unofficial minutes report:

Mayor James Thatcher reported that USD 379 inquired about changing the name of Prospect St. between 9th St. and 12th St. to Otto Unruh Avenue. The Council unanimously voted to direct City Attorney Dusty Mullin to research the process to change a street name.

The Council voted unanimously to approve the purchase of six new police vests for the Clay Center Police Department in the amount of $7.587.07 contingent upon the receipt of a 50% reimbursement grant.

The Council unanimously voted to approve the renewal of The Rex Theatre’s Alcohol Liquor License.

Grow Clay County Director Natalie Muruato reported on two grants that could fund the creation of a storm shelter at the Multi-Generational Life Center. The first, from FEMA, would cover 75% of the associated cost. The second, from State of Kansas BUILD, would cover the remaining 25%. Should both grants be awarded, they would cover the estimated $1,275,000 it would take to construct the storm shelter. The proposed shelter would cover 3,328 square feet and could shelter approximately 560 people. The Council unanimously voted to approve a letter the Multi-Generational Life Center Storm Shelter Grant Letter of Intent and to authorize Mayor Thatcher to sign associated application documents.

Council member Daton Hess reported that concrete has been removed at the intersections of 5th and Lincoln St and 5th and Court St to allow for the installation of a Speaker System. He reported that the installation of new ADA sidewalk ramps, a part of the City’s 2024 CCLIP project, have been completed. The second half of the project, which focuses on asphalt road work, is in progress. Council member Hess reminded citizens to be cautious of children on bikes and pedestrians while driving.

Council member Kasper reported that over 500 individuals attended the opening day of the Clay Center Aquatic Center. He reported that sales tax collected for March 2024 amounted to $47,946.29.

Clay Center City Council meetings are open to the public and held on the first and third Tuesday of each month starting at 5:30 p.m. The Council’s next meeting will be held on June 18.

Sign up for the KCLY Digital Newspaper, The Regional