Grow Clay County Seeking To Add Storm Shelter To Multi-Generational Life Center

By Quinn O’Hara

During the Clay Center City Council meeting on June 4, Grow Clay County Director Natalie Muruato reported on two grants that could fund the creation of a storm shelter at the Multi-Generational Life Center.

Muruato explains the reason behind pursuing the grants.

The first grant, from FEMA, would cover 75% of the associated cost. The second, from State of Kansas BUILD, would cover the remaining 25%. Should both grants be awarded, they would cover the estimated $1,275,000 it would take to construct the storm shelter. The proposed shelter would cover 3,328 square feet and could shelter approximately 560 people. The Council unanimously voted to approve a letter the Multi-Generational Life Center Storm Shelter Grant Letter of Intent and to authorize Mayor Thatcher to sign associated application documents.

Sign up for the KCLY Digital Newspaper, The Regional