Clay Center Fire Department Dispatched to Mckinley Apartments after Station Alarm Pulled

By Ryan Duey

Today at approximately 11:47 a.m. the Clay Center Fire Department was dispatched to 731 Crawford St, apartment 2E in Clay Center for smoke coming from the closet. Upon arrival, the units were met at the door by the resident stating that smoke was coming from the utility closet.

Upon investigation the fire units found smoke coming from the hot water heater. Fire units took the front panel of the hot water heater off and found that the heating element and thermostat had shorted out, causing both units to melt. It was determined that the heating element arched causing the smoke. The scene was cleared with the final fire unit leaving at 12:09 p.m.

Sign up for the KCLY Digital Newspaper, The Regional